Monday, June 25, 2007

I found out I was pregnant 12/31/91; 5 months after my father passed away. My mom took me to the doctor's the test confirmed I was pregnant; I called the father; he seemed happy; only to leave two days later. That is when the hell began; my mother; the Catholic she is; could not have this embarrassment; a 16 year old daughter who was pregnant; my God what would the guy she was dating think, and his parents? So I was sent away to live with friends of hers who were adoptive parents; they should not be. They are good people; but the last child she adopted was a few months older then my son, and the adoptive mother is sickly, and spends 90 % of her time in the hospital. The private attorney they went through, also handled my son's. So of course, the adoptive mother started on how my baby would be better off; I could never offer what adoptive parents could offer. My mother; offered me a car if I gave up the baby; but if I kept the baby she told me to realize that there would be no car. So Aug. 14; finally comes; and I deliver, everybody told me do not see the baby; do not hold the baby; but my mother's friends paraded in, and out of that hospital holding that baby. Finally, there was a nurse who came in, I didn't know the baby's gender until that moment; she asked about a medical procedure; and poor nurse I broke down; I asked her to stop my mother's friends from parading in, and out there; I wanted my baby to be held; but by me. The attorney shows up; yes in the hospital bed I signed papers. This attorney advised me to put father-unknown; if you knew me at all you know I know, and I told him I knew; he would not listen, no social worker was sent in, that I think is horrible; but it was a private adoption; I guess they can get around that. My mother after he leaves asks me "How does it feel?" How the hell do you think it feels, I wanted to scream. I answered "It is worst then the death of my father." She could have been a mother, at that point, and offer the support I needed. I will never forgive my mother for asking that question, and not stopping this madness. We left the hospital, as you might imagine I didn't gain any weight, after I delivered I was back into my normal clothes; which was a result when I was allowed to come home to visit for the holidays I was to hide my pregnancy. The day we went home we had to go eat with her boyfriend; I was to act normal. How many women do you know can act normal after the loss of a child? I did it though; and for years never talked about it; I just told my husband about it a year ago. No, he did not know when we got married. I was scared to tell him, the subject is so taboo in my family. If any young girl came to me, I would tell them educate yourself before making this decision. I would love to have pictures; but I was told this way was better; you will get over it; have any of these people ever loss a child? I have brought it up to my mother, and younger sister recently; my mother's response" Be happy you gave someone a miracle." My sister"You wouldn't have Scott, or Brittany(10 year old daughter) I love my husband, and my daughter but it should not have cost me a child. Are they saying I had to pay to get them?

6 comments:

Jayne said...

Thanks for sharing your story, and for your comment on my blog. Please send me an email me at jaynebirthmother@yahoo.com.

Kelly said...

Thank you:)

Erin said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your child.

I hope you find him soon!

Anonymous said...

Good luck kelly! I'm sorry that your mother is so inconsiderate, she seems to think only of herself. I was pregnant my senior year in high school and my mother wanted me to have an abortion and she tried the "I'll give you stuff". I don't know where I would be without him now, I would be a totally different person.

Kelly said...

I feel awful that I blame my mother. I keep trying to let it go; but I loss my first-born. Am I a terrible person because I can not let the grude go?????

Erin said...

Kelly, your mother is who pressured you, and forced you to place your child! It is okay to have anger toward her and it is okay to assign blame on her. I don't believe in holding grudges, I think that in order to move forward with our lives we have to forgive those who caused us the most pain, BUT there is a difference between forgiveness and anger. I was abused as a kid, badly, and I've forgiven the abuser, but am still angry about that.
You don't need to let go of the blame, there are people who SHOULD hold blame for events in life! Extreme example, but we blame Hitler for killing the Jews, because HE KILLED THE JEWS. It does NOT make you a bad person, but a very real hurt person.
Sorry, I got pissed off reading about your mother this morning, and you don't even know me LOL. I'm really not filled with rage and anger :-)